Clean dog ears are very important for the health of your dog.
Ear complications in pets is one of the most common reasons owners bring their pets to the veterinarian. veterinary professionals we will most likely see pets with ear conditions on a daily basis.
Ear infections are often caused by allergy related issues foreign bodies in the ear. Often even the
actual anatomy of the pets’ ears may make it prone to infections.
Before we discuss on how to clean dogs’ ears, I must mention that it needs some expertise and doing it alone at home can be risky. Try to do these initially in presence of a vet and only do this yourself once you are comfortable in this process.
Preparations Before Cleaning a Dogs Ears
- Always have a helper as it is difficult to do this alone.
- Buy a good ear cleaner for dogs. There are many good all-purpose dog ear cleaners on the market. Ask your veterinarian for advice on what you can purchase locally. You can also purchase ear cleaner online as there are many good options in the market.
- Have some cotton balls ready.
- You may also want to have a towel handy just to keep yourself dry during this process.
It’s important to only use ear cleaning solutions that are specifically formulated for use in dogs. Do not use cotton swabs or other objects to clean inside your dog’s ear canal as this can cause injury. If you have concerns about your dog’s ear health, or if your dog is showing signs of an ear infection, such as shaking their head excessively or scratching at their ears, it’s important to consult a veterinarian.
Proces to Clean Dog Ears
- Put dog in a comfortable position: You can have your dog sit or stand. If your dog is anxious or resistant, you may need to have them lie down.
- Pull the ear gently away from the head and up just to open up the canals.
- Take the fluid and pour straight in the ears and you should fill the ear canal all the way till you see the fluid.
- Gently rub the base of the ear (thumb on one side, fingers on others) and massage the ear (very gently!) in this manner for 60 seconds.
- You can just gently massage in a circular motion with an emphasis on the upward part of your circular motion this
will help loosen any debris that may be sitting in there. Oftentimes we’ll hear a squishing sound when you do this.
- This is where things can get a little bit messy because the dog may try to shake his head vigorously at this point. So, the best option is to have the towel handy to keep us dry.
- Take your cotton swab and just gently clean dog ears by wiping away any debris that you see in there.
Now depending on the amount of debris in the ear you may want to repeat this process.
- Repeat the same process with another ear.
Once you are done dog will shake it head to shake of the excess cleaner liquid from its ears
Here is a very good reference video of the process.
It is important to be gentle when cleaning your dog’s ears and to not go too deep into the ear canal, as this can cause damage to the ear drum. If you notice any redness, swelling, or discharge in your dog’s ears, or if your dog is shaking its head excessively or scratching at its ears, it is important to consult your veterinarian.
Hope this article has helped you in understanding the process to clean dog ears.
Find other interesting Articles related to dogs here