Making your Treats and Candies Safe From your Dog
Candies can be harmful to your dog. Letting your dog reach those baskets of candies on the table will lead to very undesirable consequences. Most artificially sweetened candies contain the chemical xylitol, this is very toxic for dogs. Letting your dog induce this chemical can lead to very fatal results. If your dog accidentally eats a candy with xylitol can cause an irregularly fast release of insulin and will lead to your dog’s glucose levels to decrease.
It may be common knowledge, but chocolates are actually harmful to dogs. Considering chocolate is a staple in Halloween trick or treats, letting your dog accidentally have one can be really dangerous.
And so make sure that the candies you’re giving away are inaccessible for your dog. Also always monitor your dog’s movements; you won’t know if he’s already licking leftover candy wrappers on the floor.
Letting Your Dog Eat Pumpkin
Pumpkin is one of those wonderful vegetables that can contain a lot of vitamins and nutrients. They are very rich in fiber, a very good source of vitamin C, beta-carotene and potassium. With this in mind letting your dog eat those carved out pumpkins you thought were already useless can be a very nice idea, just make sure you don’t feed him too much. Letting your dog have too much pumpkin can risk your dog to have gastrointestinal problems for your dog.
Your Dog Can be Stressed Out by Trick or Treaters
If you have a somewhat anxious dog, you may not want him to get near any of those kids tricks or treating that won’t enter your house. Not only are the random silly and sometimes scary costumes can induce overwhelming confusion to your dog, all the annoying knocking and noisy kids will definitely cause a lot of discomfort for your dog. All of these will cause a build-up in your dog’s stress levels which may cause them to run away if they see the door open. It will be advisable to have your dog stay in an area of your house that’s far from the door so they won’t be bothered.
Making your Decorations Dog-friendly
Halloween decorations are usually made with electrical components, so letting your dog roam near them without supervision can be really dangerous. Dogs are naturally curious so they go and sniff any new materials that enter the house, so you should keep those new and potentially hazardous decorations away from your dog. Try to keep the electrical wires from the decorations away from your dog’s usual pathway, this can cause your dog to trip over them and get hurt.
Some bored dogs develop this destructive behavior of chewing random objects, so keep those live electrical wires away from your dog, if chewed on this can cause a fatal electric shock to your puppy.
Glow sticks are common during Halloween, they may not be really poisonous but the chemical dibutyl phthalate in them are irritants to the eyes, salivary glands, and even the nose.